it's officially fall and i am alllllllllllll for it and today i want to teach you how to roast basically any veggie. this meal has several steps, yes, but if you're like me you like to be organized and organizing things makes you feel good. this is a great meal prep recipe! even though there are several steps, the work pays off when you have lots of roasted vegetables to eat throughout the week. you can even mix and match them! the same is true with prepping a meal ahead of time. you can basically chop and season all vegetables and hold until it's almost dinner time OR if you want to get more ahead of the game cook them a day ahead and reheat them before serving. however, if you chop and season the veggies ahead of time you might as well cook them then serve (so you don't have to heat them twice, you know what i'm saying).
wash, chop and season all veggies. preheat oven to 400 F.
simply wash and chop all veggies to roughly the same size so they all take about the same amount of time to cook. the exception to this is the sweet potatoes and beets which i washed and left whole then wrapped in tin foil and baked. these take about an hour. you can do this a day ahead of time OR place them in the oven an hour before dinner time then halfway through cooking roast off the chopped up veggies so they are all done at the same time. the other exception to the chop rule is veggies that are already small like baby carrots, which can be left whole.
once veggies are chopped, drizzle with enough olive oil to coat them and sprinkle with several pinches of salt and pepper. you can get fancy and throw in thyme or rosemary sprigs. these will perfume the veggies as they are roasting.
bake veggies in order of length of time to cook them.
so this means start cooking sweet potatoes or beets first, then 20 mins before it's time to serve dinner cook the cut eggplants, baby carrots etc.
now you can basically roast any veggie, right?
roasted vegetables + tahini dressing
3 medium beets washed, wrapped in foil (save beet greens for something else)
2 medium sweet potatoes, washed, wrapped in foil
1) place wrapped beets and sweet potatoes on a sheet tray and bake for about an hour or until a paring knife inserted into each feels tender.
1 large eggplant, medium dice
1 small bag of baby carrots
olive oil + salt + pepper
4-5 thyme sprigs or 3 rosemary sprigs (optional)
1) place eggplant in a large bowl and drizzle with enough oil to cover them lightly and sprinkle with two good pinches of salt. toss together. place on one half of the sheet tray. do the same for the baby carrots and place on the other side of the sheet tray. lay thyme sprigs on top of veggies.
2) bake for about 15-20 mins until cooked and browned.
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 t salt
2 garlic cloves, grated on microplane
1/4 t sugar
1) place all ingredients in jar and shake super good until mixed together OR use a hand blender.
garnish dish with fun things (all of which can be done a day ahead):
hard boiled eggs
sliced sweet potato
sliced beets (drizzled with honey and salt)
1) assemble plate with all the toppings and drizzle with tahini dressing. this meal heats up very well so make lots and you'll have healthy cooked veggies for days!!