there is something very nebraskan about kolaches. mostly because there are a lot of czechs in nebraska like dirt bike man. these also do not last very long with a bunch of czechs and a pot of coffee. hello kitty girl (my niece) loved these so much. she loved the streusel topping even more and asked me what it was made out of. "sugar, flour and butter mixed together," i said. so she ran to her mom and asked for those same ingredients. hey i'd eat sugar, flour and butter raw too.
*TIP: You can use any dried fruit you wish following these same instructions below. I would like to try dried pineapple, persimmons or even prunes (inspired by hello kitty girl whose fav emoji is "the poop one").
for the dough:
1 packet dry yeast (1/4 oz)
1 cup milk, lukewarm
1/4 c white sugar
3 cups all purpose flour (420 g)
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 large eggs
1 t salt
for the filling:
1 1/2 c sweetened dried mangoes
for the topping:
2 T all purpose flour
2 T sugar
1 T room temp butter
pinch of salt
1) In a large bowl, combine yeast, milk, sugar and 1 cup of flour (140 g). Mix well, cover and let rise until doubled for about 20 mins
2) Melt 1 stick of butter. Pour into a large bowl and whisk in eggs and salt. Add to yeast mixture and mix well. Add remaining 2 cups flour (280 g) and mix. Dough should be soft and moist. Turn onto a floured work surface and knead and add more flour until dough is workable about 10 mins. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let it rise until doubled about 1 hour.
3) In the meantime, make the filling. Place dried fruit in a small saucepan. Add just enough water to cover the top of the fruit. Let sit for 1 hour. Then simmer over low heat for 15 mins. Puree with stick blender or food processor until smooth.
4) After dough has risen, punch it down and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into balls and place on oiled baking sheet several inches apart. Flatten each ball so they're about 3 inches in diameter. Let rise for 30 mins. Heat oven to 375F.
5) Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly.
6) To assemble kolaches, gently make an indentation in the center of each piece of dough, leaving a little less than an inch of raised dough around the outside. Fill with a heaping spoon of filling and spread it out. Sprinkle on crumb topping. Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden. Melt remaining butter and brush butter on the outside of kolaches :) :) :)