hey all! i've decided that i don't always post the easiest recipes to do. so i've made a new commitment to post some more down-to-earth recipes that you can use everyday. plus, i don't want to give the impression that i cook crazy things all the time because that is so not true. i'll start posting recipes that i use in my day-to-day life so you can too.
easter is on it's way (one of my favorite holidays) and on sunday mornings like those i usually like to make breakfast when i am feeling ambitious and just so happen to be 1) awake early enough 2) not nursing my son 3) have no where to go fast. these days that creates a lot of 'ifs', but it sometimes happens.
scones are one of those things where you have to go all in. there i a butt ton of butter in the recipe and then you have to spread a mega butt ton of butter on it when they come warm out of the oven. plus a little blackberry jam (from the russian market down the street) is a good add.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
8 T salted butter, just out of the fridge type of cold
1/2 cup Trader Joe's dried wild blueberries
1/2 cup Fage Total Whole Milk Yogurt
1 large egg
3 T heavy cream
raw sugar for sprinkling
1) Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 F.
2) In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt together. Cut the butter into small cubes and mix in with the flour mixture. Using your hands, crumble the butter into the flour until it is the texture of cornmeal.
3) Stir in the dried blueberries.
4) In a small bowl, whisk yogurt and egg together and add to the flour mixture.
5) Mix with a fork until mixture starts to come together. Then knead a few times until the dough JUST comes together into a ball. It may not seem like enough liquid at first but it will come together.
6) Place on a smooth cookie sheet and pat into an 8" circle. Using a dough scraper or knife cut unto 8 triangles. Brush tops with heavy cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
7) Bake for 15-17 mins or until golden brown on top. Serve warm or room temp!