Happy Memorial Day everyone! I have a toasted oatmeal brulee to share with you all. I discovered it in the Buvette cookbook!
You really can add any nuts, fruit and other dodads that you'd like. I get all my dried fruits (unsulphured and unsweetened) from Trader Joes's.
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
But really you should also try these combos:
- chia seeds
- dried tart cherries
- coconut flakes
- dried blueberries
- dried apricots
- dried mission figs
- dried mandarins
- salted crushed pistachios
Not to mention all the fun toppings you could do once it's baked like:
- raw honey
- fresh fruit (strawberries, blueberries etc.)
- brown sugar instead of white sugar for the brûlée
toasted oatmeal brûlée
(adapted from the Buvette Cookbook)
1) Preheat oven to 425 F. Place oats on a baking sheet and bake stirring occasionally until roasty.
2) Meanwhile, bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Lower the heat to a simmer, add the salt. Then add the oatmeal and raisins. Cook until oatmeal and raisins are soft and thickened. About 10 mins.
3) Stir in the pumpkin seeds, flax and sunflower seeds. Transfer to a pie dish or baking dish. Bake for 10-15 mins or until all excess liquid is absorbed.
4) Remove oatmeal from the oven and turn to broil.
5) Sprinkle sugar on top of oatmeal and place 4-6 inches under broiler until sugar is caramelized. Keep a close eye on this! Serve right away.
6) Serve with warm milk to pour over the top!
2 c. regular oatmeal
4 c. H2O
1 t. kosher salt
1/4 c. raisins
1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. flax seeds
1/4 c. - 1/2 c. sugar
warm milk for serving