hello all! i have these amazing donut cookies to share with you. this sugar cookie recipe will change your life. this recipe was my great grandmother's and has been used for every single Christmas, every single year. however, it's just so amazing i needed to find another use for it. so why not smash two of my favorite thing together? donuts...and cookies.
these are the most buttery, fluffy and delicate-y cookies that i know. if you don't believe me, i will personally send you a box of these cookies. please make them! they are so delicious. the trick is to under bake them (very slightly) and let them cool on the cookie sheet for 1 min before removing to a cooling rack. this keeps them soft and heavenly.
dirt bike man and i went to portland this week and thanks to awesome suggestions from Michelle from Hummingbird High, we had a great eating experience that went something like this. donuts, coffee, food, repeat.
for the cookies:
3/4 c room temp unsalted butter
3/4 c white sugar
1 large egg, room temp
1 t. vanilla extract
4 t whole milk
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. kosher salt
for the glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
good pinch of salt
1 T + 1 1/2 t. water
various sprinkles for decorating (i used edible glitter + non pareils)
1) cream butter + sugar together for at least 5 mins. mix in egg. meanwhile, mix dry ingredients together.
2) add vanilla and milk.
3) gradually blend in all the dry ingredients.
4) separate dough into 2 parts. wrap in plastic wrap and form into disks. chill for 30 mins in the freezer (or until firm throughout).
5) on a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. adding more flour to the dough and surface if needed.
6) cut out to desired shape using a 3 1/4" diameter ring for the cookie and a 1" ring for the hole. use a metal spatula to help remove cookie from surface and place on a cookie sheet. i use a thin airbake cookie sheet (see link below).
7) Bake for 10 mins at 350 F. Let cookies cool for 1 min on cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack. You may need to adjust cooking time due to your personal oven. The goal here is to bake the cookie (almost) completely and the bottom of the cookie should not have any browning.
8) meanwhile, mix all glaze ingredients together.
9) once cookies are cooled, place cookies flat, but top down into glaze. these cookies are delicate! so use your finger to pull the cookie out of glaze, letting the excess drip off.
10) SPRINKLE AWAY!!!