this is my favorite hot drink of all time. so the funny thing is...when i first tried to make this it was disgusting. like absolutely disgusting. well, maybe i didn't toast the sesame seeds enough was my initial thought. so i re-toasted all the seeds again. nope, that didn't do it. well, maybe i just need to add more sugar or a pinch of salt. bleh. still super disgusting. i mean, the fact that the sesame seeds smelled like earthworms should have clued me in that there was something wrong here. yet, i was determined. in the end, i reluctantly admitted that the seeds i bought were as rancid as could be. i also was endanger of turning myself off from black sesame seeds all together.
thankfully, the korean market down the street had good black sesame seeds. i remade the recipe and it was delicious. better than the store bought kind and it's instant too.
Hot Black Sesame Drink
makes ~1 cup dry powder = 4 cups hot drink
1 c black sesame seeds
1/4 c old-fashioned oats
5 T sugar
lightly sweetened vanilla soymilk
1. toast black sesame seeds and oats in a medium to large saute pan over high heat. toast for ~3 mins or until seeds smell nutty.
2. transfer seeds and oat to a mixer or food processor and blend until mixture becomes a fine powder.
3. bring water to a boil.
4. measure 1/4 c. dry powder into a mug. pour in ~3/4 c. boiling water. stir.
5. place mug in microwave for 30 secs to thicken drink. drink will thicken more as it cools.
6. add a splash of soymilk for added creaminess.