make meringue cookies on a frustrating day. today was that day and i beat the living crap out of these egg whites. i was whipping so hard, i knew FOR SURE i would beat the whole batch into submission. ha ha! only until my triceps muscles turned to jello...and i had to switch to the kitchenaid, of course. oh well. life is like that sometimes; just like a batch of meringue.
but really, it is comforting to know that if you put together sugar, egg whites & a beating, those things turn into beautiful, fluffy-like-a-cloud meringue. remember, life is also like that.
these cookies are crispy on the outside...soft, chewy & chocolaty like an almond joy on the inside. they are pretty amazing and so are you! i have a few readers that look forward to my posts and i can't tell you enough how thankful i am for you!
happy friday!! xoxo
soft baked mini chocolate chip coconut meringues
(recipe adapted from Alice Water's Art of Simple Food II)
1 1/4 c. fine shred coconut (let's do...organic brand)
2 egg whites
4 oz powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
pinch or two of kosher salt
1) preheat oven to 325 F. toast coconut for 10 mins, stirring halfway through or bake until golden brown.
2) bring a small pot of water to a boil. whisk the sugar and egg whites together in a heatproof bowl. set bowl on top of pot, whisking gently until mixture is warm to the touch
3) remove from heat and beat the heck out of it by hand or in a kitchenaid mixer until stiff peaks form
4) fold in vanilla, salt, toasted coconut and mini chocolate chips
5) using 2 large spoons, drop by large spoonfuls of meringue onto a parchment lined baking sheet. use the 2nd spoon to help scrape meringue off the 1st spoon onto the baking sheet
6) bake until meringues are dry and slightly lift off parchment, about 12-15 mins
7) cool completely before storing! yay! now share with friends!!