i knew it was going to be a good day when i had a cosmic brownie hiding out in my ugly, blue, insulation-lined lunchbox. mom didn't always buy us cosmic brownies. i think she bought them roughly...twice. most of the time, my lunchtime treat consisted of lychee jello cups studded with dices of lychee (not complaining too much about that)...but when a cosmic brownie was in the equation, lunchtime couldn't come fast enough.
awkward 11 year old me, usually would stare across the lunch table at the blonde girl who would have a cosmic brownie in her lunch every. day. i'd sit there and watch her push every rainbow colored chocolate chip into the brownie before she ate it. i mean, she had them so often she had to come up with new ways to eat it. of course, i couldn't trade my "what's that???" lychee jello for it! to compensate, i insisted on making a scene by going on about how delicious my jello was.
with a cosmic brownie, i would savor every bite by breaking off the brownie piece by piece...and each colorful chocolate chip. it sure taught me something about appreciation.
i also understand there is no frosting on these cosmic brownies, but i felt it would take away from the delicious fudginess.
makes 8 cosmic-sized
10 T canola oil
1 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 t. kosher salt
1 t. vanilla extract
2 cold large eggs
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1) heat oven to 325 F.
2) mix 1st 5 ingredients together in a heat proof bowl. heat in microwave on 30 second intervals, stirring between each time, for a total of 2 1/2 mins. mixture should be hot to the touch and shiny.
3) add 1 egg at a time, whisking to incorporate. the 1st egg will leave the mixture grainy. mix in the 2nd egg until the mixture comes together into a smooth mass.
4) add in vanilla extract.
5) add in flour and mix until just combined.
6) place in a 9x9 baking pan and smooth out with an offset spatula
7) bake for 12-13 mins or until brownie is just set. as it cools off it will solidify more. careful not to over bake because it will become solid.
8) add cosmic rainbow chocolate chips!!