growing up my friends and i would lovingly call sriracha "O.T." as an abbreviation of "truong ot sriracha". in case there ever happens to be a sriracha shortage (heaven forbid), you can be equipped with this recipe and make your own. i used thai green chilies for this, but track down the red ones to make classic OT sauce.
3/4 lb. green thai chilies (some red mixed in is ok)
2 cloves garlic
1 1/4 t kosher salt
1 T brown sugar
1/4 c distilled white vinegar
1) combine chilies, garlic, salt sugar in a blender or food processor. adding just enough water as necessary, blend chilies to a coarse texture
2) transfer to glass jar covered with plastic wrap
3) leave at room temp for 3-4 days, you should see small bubbles around the chilies
4) on last day, put fermented mixture + vinegar in small saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 min
5) cool slightly, then puree in blender until smooth. add water as needed to achieve desired consistency. adjust with salt, sugar or vinegar to your liking.
*weenies beware this sauce is HOT