i've been fairly busy with puppy lately. chasing him down and yanking hairballs from his mouth. however, i wanted to give you all a little somethin somethin.
in fact, this pie will change your life.
this pie will come with an outer body experience; with every bite, the clouds will part and a choir of angels will sing.
you'll be able to watch yourself from a distance freaking out having a coconut cream pie spasm.
you have to give everything you've got not to sneak into the fridge and dive your face into the coconutty amazingness.
this pie is basically vegan (minus a little butter in the crust) which means: dairy sensitive people use coconut oil instead for a truly vegan pie. i've allowed myself to cheat because i like butter better.
coconut cream pie with animal cracker crust
(recipe adapted from Post Punk Kitchen)
1 1/2 c crushed 365 organic animal cookies
2 T sugar
3 T butter, melted
1/2 c cashews soaked for 2 hours or overnight
1-13 oz can coconut milk
3/4 c unsweetened soymilk
4 1/2 t agar agar flakes
1 1/2 "Let's Go Organic" very fine shred unsweetened coconut flakes
1 t real vanilla extract
1) pulse animal cookies in a blender until fine; you need to have 1 1/2 c crushed cookies to form the crust.
2) add melted butter + sugar to the crumbs and mix until combined.
3) using a 9" pie dish, place crumbs in the bottom of the pan and press crumbs up the sides. bake at 350 F for 11 mins.
4) drain cashews and place in the blender with coconut milk. mix until completely smooth.
5) in the meantime, combine soymilk, sugar and agar agar in a small saucepan. bring to a boil, then turn to a simmer for ~10 mins or until agar is dissolved.
6) with the blender on, pour in the hot agar agar liquid until smooth.
7) fold in the coconut flakes + vanilla extract and pour into cooled crust.
8) refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.