After a long, long hiatus, I can say that I am back at blogging again!
Work, on top of school for an MBA, not to mention getting pregnant (!!!) has had me away for awhile. Yes, lots of time has passed!! I recently gave birth to my beautiful son (I could go on and on about him, but I will save his birth story for another post).
While at the hospital we were blessed to have many friends and family visit. My friend Sarah brought these no-bake bars for me to use as a quick snack since breastfeeding takes up at least one free hand. PLUS if you are anything like me...when I'm hungry I want food NOW and that increases x 10000 now that I'm breastfeeding.
These sweet & salty bars are a little guilty pleasure for me and can be stashed away in my diaper bag and eaten between errands with my little guy. Full of nuts and dried fruit, they've got a good source of healthy fats and honey for a quick boost of energy when you've found yourself super hungry (again). They also take 10 mins to make so they are quick to whip together in between feedings and naps!
No-bake on-the-go sweet & salty granola (mom) bars
Makes 6 large or 12 smaller bars
1/2 cup honey
2 T Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter
1 T coconut oil
3/4 cups old fashioned oatmeal
1/2 cup rice crispy cereal
1/2 cup crushed pretzels
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used Trader Joe's dried blueberries, tart cherries and raisins)
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
pinch of salt
1) Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a few inches overhanging the pan so it is easier to remove.
2) Combine honey, peanut butter and coconut oil in a microwavable dish and zap on high for 30 seconds until ingredients are fully melted. Stir together.
3) Combine all other ingredients in a mixing bowl and pour wet ingredients on top. Stir until fully mixed.
4) Pour mixture into baking pan and spread evenly. Take care to press ingredients down firmly too. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on top.
5) Cover and freeze for 2 hours until bars are set. Remove from pan and remove parchment. Cut into bars with a knife and package into ziploc baggies and store in freezer until ready to eat!
*These bars are a little soft, but are really delicious to eat this way. Eat directly out of the freezer if you want a firmer bar OR use brown rice syrup as it will hold together better (but I enjoy the flavor of honey).