I think you should make these cookies for New Year's!
The cookies themselves are only 4 ingredients, so you can pretty much whip them up now if you wanted to. Baked at a low temp, these cookies barely brown in the oven, yet once cooled, they are left crisp and delicious thanks to the brown sugar and butter.
Although stunning, making these are easy. Simply mix the dough, separate out half and then mix in cocoa powder to the other half. Then pile the plain dough and the chocolate dough side-by-side and knead them together to marble the two together. Roll out the dough and then cut out whatever kind of shape you like. Once baked and cooled, you can splatter the cookies with 1:1 extract and luster powder so they are nice and festive :)
My goals for the new year are:
1) Spend more time with God--devote time with God at least twice a week, reading and studying His Word. This will help build me up as a wife and mama to support my husband and teach my son.
2) Continue lifting weights to support my dessert eating habit--lift more reps and more weight in the coming year. GET RIPPED. that's not a very defined goal i understand...so here goes. be able to do 15 12# tricep kickbacks...TRICEPS ARE THE WORST for me.
3) Be better at reaching out to my friends--be the first to say something to my friends and initiate time spent with them. i am terrible at this. it's a surprise i have friends at all (thank you guys for loving me anyways!)
brown sugar chocolate marble shortbread cookies
makes 80 2" cookies
1 cup salted softened butter
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 good pinch of kosher salt
1 t. almond extract
2 1/2 T dutch processed cocoa (I used Hershey's special dark)
for gold speckles:
1 t. almond extract
1 t. edible gold powder (you can find these at a craft store in the cake decorating section)
1) preheat oven to 300 F. cream butter and brown sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy ~5 mins.
2) add in a pinch of salt and almond extract. mix until combined. the mixture will be crumbly.
3) separate out half of the dough and add the cocoa powder to the remaining mixture that is still in the mixing bowl. mix to combine. if dough is a bit dry, add another teaspoon of extract.
4) pile the plain dough and the chocolate dough side-by-side and knead the two together a few times until a marbled effect is achieved. cut dough in half and each half out to 1/4" thickness. cut with 2" round cookie cutter. place cookies on ungreased baking sheet.
5) bake cookies for 35-40 mins until the cookies are firm to the touch. remove cookies from the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
6) mix extract and gold powder in a small bowl. dip pastry brush into mixture and tap brush on hand to flick gold speckles over the cookies.
7) serve to all your lovelies on new years!